You are here
Remote Area Trauma Education (RATE)
This 1-day course is designed to provide remote area health professionals with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills to be able to safely assess and manage trauma patients within the RemoteArea Health Centre until the arrival of the retrieval team.
RATE is provided in Remote Health Centres with an emphasis on practical skills, small interactive groups and relevant scenarios.
By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Describe the initial assessment of the trauma patient in a remote setting.
- Demonstrate the assessment and management of a compromised airway (utilising basic and advanced airway manoeuvres).
- Demonstrate the assessment and management of chest / trauma injuries.
- Demonstrate the assessment and management of spinal injuries and haemorrhage control.
- Demonstrate how to provide an effective clinical handover.
- Describe the requirements for retrieval and transport of the remote trauma patient.
- The Trauma Scenarios provide an opportunity for participants to demonstrate and consolidate key learning points of the day.
This course is aimed at Remote Area Health personnel including Remote Medical Practitioners (RMP's), Remote Area Nurses and Midwives (RANs) and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Practitioners (ATSIHPs).
COURSE COST: Sponsored by the NCCTRC.
[prices and course availability are subject to change]
REGISTRATIONS OF INTEREST CLOSE: 9 March 2022
*REGISTER AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST - APPLICATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO REVIEW
"Hands on experience and familiarisation of equipment"
"Reinforcing patient care, use of equipment and team building"
"Having a better understanding of equipment / other resources available in remote clinics"